Tuesday, December 30, 2008

13 Weeks

From Baby Center:

Fingerprints have formed on your baby's tiny fingertips, her veins and organs are clearly visible through her still-thin skin, and her body is starting to catch up with her head — which makes up just a third of her body size now. Your baby is almost 3 inches long (the size of a medium shrimp) and weighs nearly an ounce.

This is the last week of your first trimester, and your risk of miscarriage is now much lower than earlier in pregnancy. Next week marks the beginning of your second trimester, a time of relative comfort for many women who see early pregnancy symptoms such as morning sickness and fatigue subside.

Note from Jen:

I think it is funny that Baby Center deviated from its fruit-to-baby comparison this week to say that the baby is the size of a shrimp. To me a shrimp seems smaller than a lime (week 12). Oh well, I guess there are no 3 inch long fruits or veggies that would work for this week.

Anyway, I feel good this week. I have my appetite back and am about 90% sure that morning sickness is over! Whoo hoo!

My lower back/ sciatic nerve has been acting up a bit and it makes me a bit nervous for the 14 hour flight to China which is only a month away. I am thinking that I might bring some sort of microwavable heating pad and maybe a seat cushion... or maybe we can just upgrade to business class :) For those of you who have flown much during pregnancy, do you have any suggestions?

The baby LOVES tamales and is definitely a little Mexican :) I don't really think I have been having any real cravings, but there are a few things that have been really good... Orange Juice, fruit, and almost anything Mexican or Italian. Last night I told Kenny that fruit filled donuts sounded good and this morning he showed up at my office with a yummy lemon filled donut and milk. He is so sweet :)

2 comments:

The Cutter Family said...

Jen,
Glad to hear that you are feeling better!!! I did not fly during either pregnancy, but I did have some problems with my sciatic nerve. Heating pads work and you can fill an old sock with rice and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds ... that helps and it's portable. Also, maybe if you had prenatal massages that would help. I had pretty bad back pain with Gabe early on and went to have a massage and never had problems again. You should treat yourself to a massage before your trip!! Hope that helps. Take care of that little Mexican!
Magen

Danny and Tonita said...

You are 13 weeks and I'm 31...just a funny thought! Yeah for Mexican babies. :) Maybe you should name your child Pepe?? Love you!