Wednesday, December 17, 2008

11 Weeks

From BabyCenter:

Your baby, just over 1 1/2 inches long and about the size of a fig, is now almost fully formed. His/Her hands will soon open and close into fists, tiny tooth buds are beginning to appear under the gums, and some bones are beginning to harden.

The baby is already busy kicking and stretching, and his/her tiny movements are so effortless they look like water ballet. These movements will become more frequent as his/her body grows and becomes more developed and functional. You won't feel your baby's acrobatics for another month or two — nor will you notice the hiccupping that may be happening now that her diaphragm is forming.

If you're like most women, you're feeling a bit more energetic now and your nausea may be starting to wane. Don't worry if nausea has made it impossible for you to eat a wide variety of healthy foods or if you haven't put on much weight yet (most women gain just 2 to 5 pounds during the first trimester). Your appetite will likely return soon, and you'll start to gain about a pound a week.


Note from Jen:

This week I am finally feeling almost back to normal. I still get a few waves of nausea and am super tired, but overall I feel good.

My appetite is finally back and I am so thankful that food actually sounds good again. Friday night was my company Christmas party and poor Kenny had to go back to the buffet over and over to get me more prime rib. Everyone at the table blamed it on the baby, but in all honesty, it was just good prime rib and it was free, so I was going to eat what I could :)

Today we went in for our second check-up and everything looks good. All my blood work came back normal... except for the fact that my doctor told me my blood type was O negative. Strange... I always thought I was A positive. So weird. I think someone at the hospital where I was born might have messed something up... good thing I have never needed a blood transfusion!

I am also RH negative which just means that I have to get a shot at 28 weeks and another one after the baby is born so that the baby and I don't try to kill each other if he/she turns out to be RH positive. Shesh. There is already bad blood in the family.

At the appointment today, Kenny and I also got to hear the baby's heartbeat. It sounded just like a freight train. Kenny said it was all he could do not to shout "Whoo! Whoo!" after the "Chug-a-Chug" of the heartbeat.

I haven't taken a picture this week, but will try to tonight or tomorrow. I pretty much look the exact same, although people here at work are saying they can tell I have a little belly now.

2 comments:

pdclark said...

Plasma compatibility chart, or, redistribution of mundane tasks based on blood type.

Jen said...

What a coincidence - I'm Rh Negative too :) Let me give you one piece of priceless advice - when you have the shot at 28 weeks, ask the nurse to let the shot warm up a little bit once she takes it out of the refrigerator - before she gives it to you! The nurse did that for me the first time, and the shot didn't hurt at all. This last time, she gave it to me straight out the fridge, and I almost punched her...:) Cold shots are not friendly!